Welcome! GovernYourData.com is an open peer-to-peer community of data governance practitioners, evangelists, thought leaders, bloggers, analysts and vendors.

The goal of this community is to share best practices, methodologies, frameworks, education, and other tools to help data governance leaders succeed in their efforts.

What is an expected or average maturity level of most companies at the 2nd through 5th years of their data governance programs?

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Michael - I'll be extremely interested to hear from the rest of the community (public launch is next week!), but I can share feedback from my direct interactions with customers when I've walked through the DG maturity assessment with them.

The average for most orgs in the early stages of formalizing data governance (first 1-2 years) seems to hover between levels 1 and 2.  But many organizations may be in years 4 or 5 of data governance efforts, but the first few years included many starts, failures and restarts.   For these organizations, I've seen quite a bit of maturity levels between 2.5 and 3.   While most data governance leaders I speak with have shared that they are striving for something close to Level 4 on our model in the next 3-5 years (rarely full Level 5 - too much to swallow), very few are close to that stage yet.

Hope that helps, looking forward to hearing other opinions on this

Thanks Rob, for the information. But, on what basis are you stating these maturity levels? Is there a framework on which you say the maturity is 1 or 2 OR could you share the model that you state here? Reason being, governance is a touchy aspect many a times since it involves people. Hence, would we as a community be raising questions on the decision maturity when we say that an org is at maturity 2 a couple of years down the lines - maybe..or should we look at it from various levers that orgs have at their disposal? I would look at People, Processes and enabling technologies and put in a healthy dab of associated business Risks. What are your thoughts? Would be interesting to hear other points of view.

Robert said:

Hi Michael - I'll be extremely interested to hear from the rest of the community (public launch is next week!), but I can share feedback from my direct interactions with customers when I've walked through the DG maturity assessment with them.

The average for most orgs in the early stages of formalizing data governance (first 1-2 years) seems to hover between levels 1 and 2.  But many organizations may be in years 4 or 5 of data governance efforts, but the first few years included many starts, failures and restarts.   For these organizations, I've seen quite a bit of maturity levels between 2.5 and 3.   While most data governance leaders I speak with have shared that they are striving for something close to Level 4 on our model in the next 3-5 years (rarely full Level 5 - too much to swallow), very few are close to that stage yet.

Sorry Venkat, I incorrectly assumed from your question that you had already viewed and used the Data Governance Maturity Assessment Tool available on this website. (Click for link to page).  When you Create a New Assessment, you'll be taken to the questionnaire which walks through all the dimensions of DG maturity that I consider relevant.  For additional information, this DG Framework is under the "What Is Data Governance" link on the home page of the site - that's the ten-faceted diamond.   On that page, there is also a link to a white paper which deep dives much further into each of these competencies.

I hope these resources help put my initial response into better context, and I'm of course available to answer any other questions. 

Venkat said:

Thanks Rob, for the information. But, on what basis are you stating these maturity levels? Is there a framework on which you say the maturity is 1 or 2 OR could you share the model that you state here? Reason being, governance is a touchy aspect many a times since it involves people. Hence, would we as a community be raising questions on the decision maturity when we say that an org is at maturity 2 a couple of years down the lines - maybe..or should we look at it from various levers that orgs have at their disposal? I would look at People, Processes and enabling technologies and put in a healthy dab of associated business Risks. What are your thoughts? Would be interesting to hear other points of view.

Robert said:

Thanks Rob. I did go through the links and assessment and have been an ardent follower fo the facets from the time you published the first facet of it :). But, my question still remains the same. Even with the assessment where we do give some scores to each opportunity and also assess the business risks, a calculation at the backend I presume provides you a maturity level. Do these take into consideration any additional aspects to them, which might help us understand that a maturity level of 2 or 3.5 would be appropriate for a business? It would be good to hear your point of view and also help a larger community move ahead in a colaborative manner towards robust models. 

Robert said:

Sorry Venkat, I incorrectly assumed from your question that you had already viewed and used the Data Governance Maturity Assessment Tool available on this website. (Click for link to page).  When you Create a New Assessment, you'll be taken to the questionnaire which walks through all the dimensions of DG maturity that I consider relevant.  For additional information, this DG Framework is under the "What Is Data Governance" link on the home page of the site - that's the ten-faceted diamond.   On that page, there is also a link to a white paper which deep dives much further into each of these competencies.

I hope these resources help put my initial response into better context, and I'm of course available to answer any other questions. 

Venkat said:

Robert said:

Asking the question what level of maturity is appropriate for a business is a very important exercise that must be performed very early in your data governance program.   The maturity model, DG framework and other tools and methodologies offered on this site and elsewhere can be used to facilitate this conversation, but no organization should look to the outside to determine what their unique vision and objectives should be.    This is an inside->out exercise that must match the organizational culture, sponsorship, readiness and priorities around data.   There are many frameworks and approaches that consultants specializing in data governance and information management strategies might employ to support this, but I don't have a personal opinion as to which approach is better than others.     Curious to see if other community members have some opinions to share?

Venkat said:

Thanks Rob. I did go through the links and assessment and have been an ardent follower fo the facets from the time you published the first facet of it :). But, my question still remains the same. Even with the assessment where we do give some scores to each opportunity and also assess the business risks, a calculation at the backend I presume provides you a maturity level. Do these take into consideration any additional aspects to them, which might help us understand that a maturity level of 2 or 3.5 would be appropriate for a business? It would be good to hear your point of view and also help a larger community move ahead in a colaborative manner towards robust models. 

Robert said:

Venkat said:

Robert said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Try Our Tools

© 2020   Sponsored and Hosted by informatica   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service